Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Android n00b rubbing shoulders with a spanking new ASUS Eepad Transformer Prime

I was angling for an Android device for the longest time in a Mac/PC household. Having played with my wife's iPad2, I wanted the device in a Tablet form factor. I have always had a soft spot for ASUS as a technology company, and the specs of the ASUS Transformer Prime TF-201 looked highly promising; so, armed with the tax return, I took the plunge. Newegg.com (bless its soul!) delivered the device in three days flat, and having charged it the mandatory 8+ hours, I am now playing with it.

ASUS Eepad Transformer Prime TF-201

The device was highly chic. Lightweight, thin, with a bright display, the TF-201 seemed, for the most part, pretty fast, as I'd expect it to be with the 1.3GHz Tegra3 dual core processor and 1GB of RAM. It came with the Ice Cream Sandwich flavor of Android (v.4.0.3), the next gen Android OS optimized for Tablets. The device connected to my home network without any hassle, and I quickly updated the firmware to the latest one, as well as the apps. The Android Marketplace was a pleasure to use, no less convenient than the iTunes store, but with an awesome feature - you purchase a paid app, and play with it. If it doesn't suit your purpose, you can return it within 15 minutes to get a FULL refund. This is Google doing a store function right, unlike other vendors. (Yes, I am looking at you, Apple!!)

The ability to play flash-based content within the browser is a great plus, making for a much better web experience. The big sprawling keyboard that ASUS has customized from the stock Android one is very nice. With its big keys and intelligent layout of the keys, it is easy to use, and also supports the SWYPE gestures (typing by rubbing the appropriate letters in a word in sequence without lifting the finger). Without going into the vexatious autocorrect business, it provides good suggestions on a top row while typing, which helps.

I figured out how to make groups from icons (same as in iOS, it appears; drag and drop). I downloaded and installed the EEPad PC Suite (from ASUS Support) in my Windows 7 PC, which installed all the necessary USB drivers for connecting the Tablet to the PC via USB. It offers a choice to connect as a camera or as a portable file storage device, each with slightly different functions.

However, I being an Android newbie, I was kinda expecting troubles with it. I just didn't realize how much.
  1. The EEPad PC Suite that I installed in my Windows PC; I found it to be v-e-r-y slow, at least for file functions, like copying or moving.
  2. The stock browser that came with the TF-201 seemed nice. It had nice tabs, and worked pretty much like Chrome. But then I started realizing the major drawbacks. (i) It is generally rather slow. (ii) Even when I am accessing Gmail through the web interface, upon opening the compose menu and tapping the cursor into a text field (such as the 'to' field or the message body), the keyboard wouldn't appear. This has happened to me several times in a row. I stopped the process, started it again, but to no avail whatsoever. And this is just one of the issues with the stock browser.
  3. In fact, the keyboard, albeit nice and big, is somehow not quite as responsive as the cramped and small keyboard of the iDevices. For many apps, there is a noticeable lag, both in its appearance and in its performance.
  4. The stock ASUS email app is... weird to say the least. I configured it to access my Gmail, Yahoo mail and Hotmail accounts. I was happy using the stock email app, until I realized everytime I was sending a message from Gmail using the email app, it created a label called 'Imap/sent' in my Gmail account. If I moved a message to the Spam account, it would create a label called 'Imap/spam'; if I deleted a message, it showed up in my Gmail account with an 'Imap/trash' label, but is not actually deleted. None of this, incidentally, ever happened with the iOS5 email client on my iPhone 4S or my wife's iPad2.
  5. The TF-201 is already showing noticably weird glitches, time lags, performance issues. Particularly vexing has been the clock issue. There are four clocks that show time. (i) The system time in settings. (ii) Clock in the taskbar (right bottom corner). (iii) Clock that shows up at the right top corner of the pop up menu when the taskbar is tapped. And (iv) an analog Clock widget on my homescreen. The system time (in the settings) shows the correct time. However, all the three other clocks shows completely different and arbitrary times. Check the screenshot composite that shows all of the above 4 clocks.
  6. The non-inclusion of a good unicode-compliant non-English Foreign Language font - I specifically mean a good Bangla font - is cramping my style, because I use such fonts often. It's particularly odd, since the use of this font works out rather well even in Google's Chromebook CR-48. Not so in the TF-201, where somehow even Google's own Transliteration IME doesn't work. From reading at various fora, I find that this is an impossible proposition, unless I root the device and install a compatible Bangla font.
  7. The apps that I was used to in the iOS platform behave slightly differently in Android, and not in a good way. For instance, the individual webmail apps (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) didn't perform as expected in the Android platform. Each of them had some design issues that made them inconvenient to use. The Yahoo mail, strangely, has no means to delete a message once I am reading the message. I have to get back to the message list in order to select the message and then delete it. It was not like this in the iOS.
  8. The Prime, sadly, doesn't support 5GHz wireless signal. My Netgear router (dual band) does G at 2.4GHz and N at 5GHz, with two different SSIDs for each band. The Prime sees only the 2.4GHz. In addition, the Wi-fi signal drops inexplicably even when I am sitting at the same spot and not doing anything online. It keeps fluctuating when the wi-fi is actually in use. I can't understand why.
  9. In the ASUS task manager, apps that I am not using show up when I wake the device up from sleep. Apps such as Twitter, Facebook, Keyboard, Google+, Gallery, Calendar etc.) show up, even when I haven't used them at all; for instance, I have never opened Google+ or the Calendar on my device, and yet they show up in the task manager as running.
These problems have been so bad (especially when the comparison with iOS jumps naturally to my mind) that I am tempted to return the TF-201. A part of me wants to try rooting it and installing custom ROMs (customized Operating systems available from the thriving and wonderful Android community) and stuff to see if it would solve my worries. But then I probably cannot return it any more to Newegg. The process of rooting (for which ASUS has provided the tool) is supposed to invalidate the warranty, and the device is considered 'modified'. ASUS will not even send me periodic updates for a modified device.

I have written to ASUS Tech support. If necessary, I shall call them. A lot depends on the next couple of weeks, since Newegg allows 30 days for returns. Let's see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. v interesting - was considering jumping into the tablet market but am probably going to wait until next wave of devices once the problems you identify have been ironed out. what I'd really like of course is a Chromebook with a screen that turns into a tablet screen, like these (UK spec) http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/roundup/10-best-touchscreen-laptops-in-the-world-909937

    actually looking this up I found another version of the Transformer which may well suffer from similar Android flaws but does look super cool :-)

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/asus-transformer-pad-300-wants-to-replace-your-laptop/2012/04/23/gIQAHVkqcT_story.html

    cheers

    ReplyDelete